Subject: Re: Galatea 2.2
From: "Stefan Raets" <sraets@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:32:02 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written

RUN to the bookstore and grab a copy of "The Goldbug Variations" by RP, one
of the best novels I read in the last few years.  It helps to have the CD
"The Goldberg Variations" (Bach) as played by Glenn Gould nearby.  Give it
a try and tell me what you think.

Bingo!!! I have to read this book.
Then I visited my favourite virtual bookstore where I got some other info:

Synopsis.
A national bestseller, voted by Time as the #1 novel of 1991, selected as
one of the "Best Books of 1991" by Publishers Weekly, and nominated for a
National Book Critics Circle Award--a magnificent story that probes the
meaning of love, science, music, and art, by the brilliant author of Three
Farmers on Their Way to a Dance.

Customer Comments
jaym@versant.com, 09/22/96, rating=9:
Stimulating, exciting, and reaffirming.
An amazing book, covering genetics, music, art, and ultimately, love and
life. Completely absorbing, dense, and fulfilling. In conception, very much
like Stoppard's Arcadia as two separate tales evolve into one. Superb -- I'm
telling everyone I know who appreciates any of these fields to read this
quest for knowledge and self-knowledge.
07/22/96, rating=9:
Complex, rewarding. Music, computers, love intertwined. A long, complex
book. Powers' style is dense but once you've penetrated it it is very
rewarding. And there's a cracking good plot that intertwines obsessive love,
computers, Bach's Goldberg Variations.

Now I've ordered it but, as I have to wait at least 8 weeks, I'd like to
know something more about it.
Does anyone have an opinion on this book? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Silvio

P.S. My best wishes for a happy Christmas to all of you.