GG: *Glenn*'s epigraph

The following sentence is the epigraph of
David Young's play *Glenn*:

   Art, on its loftiest mission, is hardly human at all.
                                                 --Glenn Gould

(David Young, *Glenn*, Toronto: Coach House Press, 1992)

Does anyone happen to know where it is quoted from?

When I translated this play last year,
I could not find the source.

I asked David Young, only to find he did not remember where he
quoted it from.  He said he might have quoted from Payzant's,
but I could not find it out when I browsed the book and the GG Reader

(There might be somewhere in these books: I am not a good browser.)

Junichi, Tokyo / junichi@poetic.com
                      (forwarding address to junichi_miyazawa@msn.com
)