Re: GG: Quote on K. Jarret

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 Tcdemarco@aol.com wrote:

> It is impossible for Gould to have commented on Keith Jarrett's Bach
> recordings because Jarrett did not make Bach recordings until after Gould's
> death.  This of course does not mean that GG could not have commented on
> Jarrett generally.

The article as quoted here today is also misleading: it implies that
Jarrett recorded the Goldberg Variations on piano.  Untrue; his recording
is on harpsichord.

I've heard that recording, and think it's pretty good musically.
Easygoing, late-night Bach, very relaxing.  The performance doesn't draw
attention to itself; Jarrett doesn't make any points, but lets them
happen.  BUT...it doesn't sound like a harpsichordist's playing.  His
concepts of legato, phrasing, and articulation are clearly pianistic, and
come across as dull when compared to a number of other harpsichord
recordings (Hantai, van Asperen, several by Leonhardt, ...).  Sort of a
Goldberg Variations on Harpsichord recording for people who don't like
harpsichord playing.  It IS more successful (in my opinion) than Jarrett's
WTC-II, also on harpsichord, which is so understated and even as to be
deadly dull.  He plays the notes, not the music.  The thing I missed most
when listening to these sets is a freedom to play notes not exactly
together: it's essential to tasteful and dynamic harpsichord playing, but
Jarrett almost always puts his hands exactly together.

Bradley Lehman, bpl@umich.edu       http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/