Re: GG: The centipede and things that can impede...

     I have a similar story of my own from my low brass playing
     experience (I am also a pianist and frankly have not kept up
     my low brass playing as well as I should have).  When I was
     in the midst of my most intensive study, around age 19 or
     20, I was really analyzing every aspect of attack, sustain
     and release to the smallest detail.  And I found that even
     though my playing was in good form and constantly improving,
     I began to experience an occasional inability to produce a
     sound at all, particularly in the low range.  I would
     breathe and prepare the attack in the usual way, but at the
     moment of attack every muscle from my throat down would lock
     up and there would be a lot of air in there not going
     anywhere.  (Fortunately, this only happened when playing
     alone.)  It was a most unpleasant experience.  So I
     definitely agree with the centipede analogy, and that goes
     for keyboard playing too.  Too much thinking is just not
     good for you.  Or as Bill Hurt said in the Big Chill,
     sometimes you just have to let art flow over you.