GG:GV

Johnathan Mansfield wrote:

> Lori:  My CD copy of the 81 Goldbergs has only one track, containing all
> the variations and both arias.  Where did you find your copy with 34
> tracks?

Correction, it's 32 tracks.  I bought it off the shelf at Barnes and
Noble.

> Regarding your theory that GG would want us to listen to the Goldbergs
> "in order,"  for continuity's sake, I don't think that GG's practice bears this
> out.  I don't have the books beside me as I write, but I recall that GG was
> always recording things out of sequence, and splicing even whole
> sections of a single movement together from takes done on different
> days.  Read what the "Variations" Bio says about the sequence in which
> the later Goldbergs were recorded.

That's how he RECORDED it.  Of course he wanted to get the best
version possible and would record it whenever he felt so inspired.
However, as the LISTENER, I feel he would want us to experience it to
discover the progression and development of the theme.

:-) Lori