Re[2]: GG: Shuffling

     Well, that is right with respect to the 1982 (1981?)
     recording.  The 63 (?) recording is of course a different
     matter.  Now I am not an expert on record issues and
     numbers, but I remember buying the 81/82 CD when it came
     out.  Digital RECORDS started coming out when I was in
     college but they were funny things:  you got rid of all that
     tape hiss but still heard all that vinyl pop.  So CDs, as
     you all remember, were a very big deal.  When those players
     started coming out, there were at first only a handful of
     CDs that you could even get.  One of them was definitely
     GG's re-recording of the GVs; you could find it anywhere CDs
     were sold, along with 3 or 4 others.  Although you could get
     it on a digital record too.  I bought a CD player right away
     (even though I was very poor) and of course the first CD I
     bought was the GVs, and I still have it.  There is no
     question that it has only one track; when you load it in and
     the machine boots up it says "1."  And it is really
     annoying.

     You know, there are 2 things that are really curious about
     that.  First, as some of you have already pointed out; the
     entire work was not recorded that way.  It is very easy to
     hear where the breaks were taken.  Second, I have many CDs
     on which the track number changes even though you can tell
     that there was no break during the recording.

     Anyway, it does not surprise me that later copies of that
     recording have 32 tracks.