Re: GG: Shuffling

>>My CD copy of the 81 Goldbergs has only one track, containing all
>>the variations and both arias.  Where did you find your copy with 34
>>tracks?
>
>I would ineed like to know what kind of CD copy YOU have of the Gouldbergs!
>One track!!! I have the issue that comes with the Glenn Gould Edition on
>Sony. The CD number is Sony SMK 52619, and it has 32 tracks. Are there
>really CD's with no indexes for such an indexed work as the Goldberg
>Variations? Please, details!

        I have the same one-track version of the '81 Goldberg Variations.
When CBS Masterworks first released it in 1982 (MK37779) the aria and
variations were lumped together in a single track.  It's a nuisance, when
you want to review the performance of a single variation, to have to
fast-forward through several minutes of music.  When Sony reissued the
recording as part of the Glenn Gould Edition (SMK 52619), they wisely
partitioned it out onto 32 tracks.

Scott Henderson, Ph.D.
Director of Microscopy,
Mount Sinai School of Medicine,