Getting copies of books from libraries

I have been very successful obtaining books from public libraries via an
inter-library loan. I have used this method for books that were not
available from bookstores or even publishers. If any of you live where
you have access to a public library having this service it is
indispensable and often the only means of borrowing a particularly
unusual item. In the U.S., you need only go to the library offering
inter-library loans, pay a modest fee (you can dictate the maximum you
will pay), and that library will consult an online system to locate the
most expedient library from which to borrow it. I have borrowed books and
scores from cooperating libraries hundreds of miles away, be they other
public libraries, university libraries, even music school libraries.
Through this means I have added rare items to my own collection,
reproduced on a copier- I violate no copyright laws, since I subsequently
write to request permission if I plan to quote from such material in a
formal writing. I pass this on to any who have access to such a system.