RE: GG "Moscow" live of Bach Sinfonias

On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, Junichi Miyazawa wrote:

> Frank wrote:
> >Thank you for your research. The differences are all
> >resolved, except that the Vienna concert may have
> >been on June 7, not June 6.
> >Frank
>
> Yes, thank you Frank, and sorry for an awkward and
> embarassing  mistake.

Just one note here, which I should have sent a long time ago. Don't be
overly embarassed! I have never seen a discography that is error-free
including my own. And I don't mean merely inaccurate as to the facts; I
mean the introduction of fresh mistakes. The hope is that we catch them in
time before they become so widespread that they cannot be eradicated!

I think it is a good idea to add a list of errors in previous
discographies to one's own. Alas, Teri Noel Towe's discography of Casals
correct a previous discographer, but it turns out that Towe was wrong and
the original discographer right!

What about rumored recordings? Eventually, you may be able to track the
rumor down to its source and determine that there was an error. But, a
very early dg of Hermann Scherchen alluded to a 78 rpm disc of Berg. It
turned up just a few years ago!

> The Vienna concert was on June 7
> according to Otto Friedrich's biography.
>
> Will anyone ask the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation
> to make sure the fact of the "Moscow" live recording?
> Or, let me know where (address) and whom I shall ask?

Here's the URL for Austria's Federal Ministry of Science, Transport, and
the Arts:

http://www.deet.gov.au.

(This is where the government's educational activities are located. I work
at the U.S. Department of Education in Washington, DC, and am trying to
compile a list of Departments of Education throughout the world. Your name
seems to be Japanese, so I ask you if you know the URL for its Dept. of
Ed., or for the government as a whole. Some countries do have URLs for the
entire government. The US does not. And some countries aren't wired at
all.)

I intend to review your own list of corrections to Nancy Canning's dg. Too
many other projects going on at the same time!

Frank