GG: Music theorists?

I plead to the music theorists and musicians on the list!

The following is an excerpt from a _Canadian Composer_ interview with GG
(March 1972):

		"...the opening  segment of _North_ has a kind of trio-sonata
	texture, but it is really an exercize in texture and not a
	conscious effort to regenerate a musical form.  Three people speak
	more or less simultaneously...The scene is built so it has a kind of--
	I don't know if you have ever looked at the tone rows of Anton Webern
	as distinguished from those of Arnold Schoenberg-- but it has a kind
	of Webern-like continuity-in-crossover in that motives which are
	similar but not identical are used for the exchange of instrumental
	ideas. So, in that sense, textually, it was very musical."

I wish I had a nickel for every time GG mentions the tone rows of
Webern!  I understand what GG means in relation to _North_, but what,
for example, might be an "instrumental idea" of Webern's?  How are
Webern's tone rows different from Schoenberg's?

-Mary Jo

P.S. Anyone gotten the new copy of _GlennGould_ yet?