Re: GG: The Gould Variations

At 11:00 96-10-15, Katherine Lee wrote:
>This weekend, I watched a movie called The Gould Variations, directed by
>Manuel Huerga.

>Some of the ideas discussed had to do with Gould's relationship to music.
>There is a Hungarian pianist who appears throughout to talk about Gould and
>his work. (I didn't catch the pianist's name in the opening titles ? and
>annoyingly, the name was neither subtitled in the movie nor listed in the
>end credits.  If anyone has seen this movie and can fill me in on this, I'd
>appreciate it!)

His name is Zoltan Kocsis. His own recordings are on Philips. I actually
found his commentary in the film rather tedious.

Were they showing it on Vancouver TV again? Did they only show this one?
About a year ago Bravo celebrated with a Gould marathon day by showing 3
hours worth of material over and over again:

Tribute to Glenn Gould #1 (30min)
Glenn Gould: Off The Record (30min)
Tribute to Glenn Gould #2 (30min)
Glenn Gould: On The Record (30min)
Gould Variations (60min)

There are sooo many interesting bits and pieces in them. They also showed
in between the shows many short interviews with people who have worked with
Gould. Also a hilarious Walton duet htat Gould sang.

Derek (Vancouver, Canada)