[no subject]

I've been reading the f_minor archives but so far I haven't seen much written on one of my favourite GG recordings: the Hindemith Das Marienleben. Friedrich has nothing to say about it and any other reference to the work itself seems to be secondary to speculation about GG's relationship with Roxolana Roslak. Certainly the Marienleben is far from being GG's best or most important work but surely this degree of obscurity is undeserved.

I bought my copy out of a discount bin not much more than a year after its release so probably it wasn't a great seller. This raises a question: Do we know how GG's recordings rank in sales? Were figures (#'s not $'s)  ever released? I've never paid much attention to those gold and platinum award things but if Gould ever received any it might help in making a ranking. I would guess that the '55 and '82 Goldbergs rank 1 and 2 but after that I haven't a clue.

Tom Theodore
Thunder Bay, Ontario