Re: GG:Glenn chat/Sony

I certainly agree with you. The Sony discs are shamelessly overpriced, and
all too often most of the works on a release will have already been
issued on an earlier 'edition' disc, but the few that haven't been make it
a necessary purchase (for the die-hard fan). As for the videos, I would
*much* rather see a complete interview with Gould than the little blips
that they splice together (I am thinking in particular of the interviews
with Humphrey Burton).

Unfortunately, I am not so optimistic that there is any alternative. It
seems to me that Sony has a corner on the GG Market, and unless one has
the resources to go in search of old vinyl or tap into the CBC archives,
you either have to settle for an old 'Masterwork' release, or buy the
expensive Sony version (the best thing I can say is that the Sony discs
have better pictures. The SBM, i've noticed on the many occaisons where my
collection overlaps, does little to restore the sound except on the very
old recordings and perhaps some of the concertos). Also, we're out of luck
if we wish to hear some of these "first releases" that Sony has come up
with.  In short: I hate the rip-off too, but if that's the only way I'll
be able to hear GG play Chopin, I just have to deal with it.

By the way, when the heck is Sony going to release that Brahms concerto?

Jeremy