GG and Mozart

With the discussion about GG and the Mozart sonatas and the terrible reviews
by the critics of those recordings, I'm reminded of my first reaction to
them.  I had been thoroughly enjoying GGs Bach and thought it would be great
to hear him perform other composers.

I bought the Mozart sonata recordings and heard most of these works for the
first time in the GG versions.  My acceptance was complete - Since I was
hearing GG's ability, what else mattered?

As the years went by, I gradually heard other, more traditional, performances
of the sonatas and realized what Gould had done.  Of course, it was too late!
 By then, the GG versions were in my head and the conventional
interpretations seemed, well, conventional and dull.

My experience with the Beethoven sonatas was similar, except that I was
familiar with more Beethoven sonatas when I first heard GG's recordings.

       Don Yungkurth  (DYungkurth@aol.com)