Re: More on Gibbons; GG and Mozart

On 26 August 1996, Eugene Selig wrote:

>he wrote an article for the now-defunct magazine
>"Piano Quarterly" with the title "Why Mozart is not a great composer."
>In it, he used examples from one of the piano concertos actually, showing
>some modulations that would have given a harmony student a poor grade. GG
>was right! Keep in mind, the concertos contained far loftier writing than
>the sonatas, which were created mostly for M's students, while the
>concertos were written as perfomance vehicles for M. himself.

I agree entirely with Gould's opinions of Mozart.  I can't stand him and
I wish he wasn't so popular.  But I remember that somewhere Gould said (about
Mozart) something to the extent of:

"I love the early works and the middle works, it's the late works I cannot
stand."

I'm sure the quote is not exactly correct, but I know I have the gist of it.
Doesn't this go against everything GG had previously criticized about M?

-David