Re: GG: Art of Fugue

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Bradley P Lehman wrote:

> Jordi Savall/Hesperion XX (four viols, four Renaissance winds)
> Gustav Leonhardt, the dhm recording (not the early Vanguard one)
> Berlin Saxophone Quartet
> Herbert Tachezi, organ
> Musica Antiqua Koln, solo strings and harpsichords
> Marriner/Academy of SMF, chamber orchestra/harpsichords

	Well.... actually some of these are among the ones I have found.
I'm supposed to look through music journals and pick out ones with good
reviews, and then cite the reviews, though. Thanks for the input though!
It'll be a big help. I spent about 6 hours last night reading through
back issues of "Notes" finding recordings mentioned in there... and I had
to go all the way back to the mid 70's to find enough of the Musical
Offering. But I had a couple pages on Art of the Fugue.

> Keep in mind that the Art of Fugue is first and foremost a *harpsichord*
> piece.

	But, wasn't the Goldberg Variations meant for harpsichord too?
I'm sure you've hard Gould's interpretations of THAT piece. Thanks to
listening to that recording, I will never say again that a piece must be
played in it's original instrumentation. The way he makes those notes
sing was just amazing. Especially the Adagio variation....
#20something.... it sounded more like Chopin when he played it. All that
chromaticism...

	Well, thanks for the help!! It's much appreciated.

	Ryan

The only thing we have to fear is spearing ourselves...

			- A very wise man
Ryan Anderson
rla@lclark.edu
http://www.lclark.edu/~rla